Butler’s got the nod

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Butler’s got the nod

• Author
    fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

We can’t all agree but cynical old farts who I stand with were beginning to enjoy the football and attitude under Nelson, Hilton’s pal Dean trashed that progress in my opinion.I.didnt enjoy watching much under Dean

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Agree 100%. I like football under Nelson and considering what little we had we played attractive, attacking football. As you said though, all the progress was pished away when Jimmy came.

GurnelistaGurnelista
    Participant
    Registered On: April 2, 2014
    Topics: 13

True, under Dean it was often winning ugly.
    But under Nelson it was just 9 games, W.2 D2.L5.
    Losing pretty?

fans6464

Not losing pretty but actually seeing a team grow,you could see a no confidence team starting to work and play with organisation and confidence and not give up.I believe they were going in the right direction.Deannl halted that.Its impossible to quantify in a playstation era but,I walked away thinking they’ll get results and survive,Dean and Hilton killed that

2 users thanked author for this post.
    FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 101

True, under Dean it was often winning ugly.
    But under Nelson it was just 9 games, W.2 D2.L5.
    Losing pretty?

Dean’s record that season after replacing Nelson was W3 D3 L12 which is a worse record by my maths, and that was with all the signings he was able to make under Hilton – huge numbers of players came in and virtually all had left by the start of the following season. People seem to have forgotten just how terrible a job Dean did in those 6 months. It’s not to say Nelson would have been any better but he had shown promise which was soon washed away under Dean.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Agree 100%. I like football under Nelson and considering what little we had we played attractive, attacking football. As you said though, all the progress was pished away when Jimmy came.

Now I know you’re making it up. Even The win against Halifax was a painful watch. The point against Bromley was the only game we looked like a footballing side.

GurnelistaGurnelista
    Participant

It seems Dean is being scapegoated for fans’ high hopes which were cruelly dashed at the last.
    Note the stained glass of some Bru-ers with Dean and Plummer in Lincoln Cathedral….
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scapegoat

CMCCMC
    Participant
    Registered On: July 14, 2022
    Topics: 32

It seems Dean is being scapegoated for fans’ high hopes which were cruelly dashed at the last.

I don’t know what they’re smoking down Gurnell Street but it must be strong!
    Maybe the reason for all the wailing and crying?

TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023
    Topics: 11

Not really Gurnelista, he had a crack at it, failed and met the cruel reality of professional football. Personally I blame Swann and Hilton.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

What no blame for Elliott or Sharp with their false dawn.
    As for Dean he let his ego get in the way and played the negative brand of the football he put out there, we all saw what an attacking line up could do, he alone chose not to play it regularly.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Give up with these anti Sharp and Elliott (& Turnbull) posts. They said it as they saw it and they saw it wrong. Never made a mistake yourself or said something you later regretted?

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017

That’s definitely worthy of an Alcazar ‘muhahaha!’

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Will do Cass when they leave the club.
    I’ve made plenty of mistakes and said things I’ve regretted and what I do is apologize when i do. Wether there excepted is up to others to decide.

dandaherron@yahoo.co.ukJust Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: August 1, 2014
    Topics: 9

Will do Cass when they leave the club.
    I’ve made plenty of mistakes and said things I’ve regretted and what I do is apologize when i do. Wether there excepted is up to others to decide.

You want to drive those 3 away from the club? What then? Begin the purge of all those others who ‘messed up in the last 4 or 5 hellhole years and wont meet your conditions. Might only cost us 3 or 4 hundred supporters ..but at least we would be ‘pure.’
    I’m with Cass. Time to knock it off and look to the future.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66

Of all the people who made mistakes and hasn’t apologised, Turnball is way down the list IMO. Sharp doesn’t even get on the list!

3 users thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

I do but it’s quite obvious that most don’t want to drive them out of the club you can be happy in that.
    Until this forum becomes like tuther side and begins to only allow certain threads and posts I will carry on with my opinions, TJO only blamed Swann and Hilton i just thought more should be added.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Trying and failing with a takeover bid doesn’t match the mismanagement of Swann and the saviour.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017

Awaywego has always been up for a scrap, when he was younger it was purely physical when he was ” a proper fan” now he’s old, past it and couldn’t knock the skin off a rice pudding it’s purely verbal. Look he can voice his opinion and the rest of us can ignore it and as a result don’t even respond, he’ll pipe down eventually when nobody responds to his rubbish.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Respond or not it doesn’t bother me, Wg has being playing that game for years now.
    Without different opinions forums would be shite and bye my opinions are different to almost everyone else’s on every subject, and no i don’t do it deliberately my opinions are genuine and aren’t afraid to express them.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Not inclined to change them either.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

On reflection I was probably Turnbulls biggest champion on here when he last rejoined us, so im quite proud that i can change opinions sometimes.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017

Your perfectly entitled to change your opinion but once made and counter opinions submitted there comes a point when endless back and forth posting on the same theme become irrelevant, that’s why posters should choose to ignore a rehash of the same opinion once already discussed. The majority on here realise your basically an arse kicker on a host of topics and should react accordingly by not reacting, again like you I’m expressing an opinion on this particular matter by not repeating previous discussion.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Fair point Ironawe i can only say I will try to be better, no promises mind, a gentle prod now and again lol.

GurnelistaGurnelista
    Participant

So, based on comments from CMC, TJO and others (above) if we don’t get promoted in 24/25, Butler will have failed, and should expect the boot, right? No two ways about it, no question of stats, goals, unlucky penalties, or excuses about cash. It’s the “cruel reality of pro football”, and he will have to go, right??

fans6464

I don’t care whether he failed or not,he was an integral part of the regime that oversaw then worst time ever seen at Scunthorpe United ,the fact hes a bad manager means nothing in that context

TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023

I would say so (in my opinion !), one of if not the biggest budget was said by MH and Butler himself said promotion is the intention. They haven’t said x number of years down here whilst money is sorted out or anything else to get in the way.
    Having said that I have previously stated I would have supported Dean next season but thought he should go so the same applies if we fail next season and the board decide Butler stays then fair enough.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Not sure why you just can’t accept the Board’s decision, which was explained perfectly well on the podcast, Gurney. As much as you appear to want it to be, based on previous comments, it’s really not Brexit Mk2

CMCCMC
    Participant
    Registered On: July 14, 2022
    Topics: 32

So, based on comments from CMC, TJO and others (above) if we don’t get promoted in 24/25, Butler will have failed, and should expect the boot, right? No two ways about it, no question of stats, goals, unlucky penalties, or excuses about cash. It’s the “cruel reality of pro football”, and he will have to go, right??

Seeing as i’ve just pulled the list up, did these managers fail or succeed?

Robins – Yes in keeping us in L1.No in Driving us forward. YES
    Alexander – Yes in getting us to the play offs. No in getting us up. NO
    Daws – Bit short to say. But he got us to the play offs so YES.
    Dawson – Like Daws short spell and it wasn’t great so NO.
    McCall – Sorted the defence out, got us winning games. One of the worst decisions we’ve ever made to sack him. YES
    Dawson(again) – Got us relegated enough said. NO
    Hurst – Sent us nearer the relegation places than the promotion ones. Bored everyone to death. NO
    Cox – Saved us from relegation with a crap budget. but was in charge for the Harrogate debacle. YES, but only just.
    Hill – We were a shambles off the pitch but he didn’t do much to change it. NO
    Dean – Open chequebook, couldn’t save us from relegation, couldn’t get us promoted. NO

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013

Robins – Yes in keeping us in L1.No in Driving us forward. YES
    Alexander – Yes in getting us to the play offs. No in getting us up. NO

I have completely different verdicts on those two.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

What’s the sentence Ferrite?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.