Best Memories of Scunthorpe as a league club

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Best Memories of Scunthorpe as a league club

• Author
    PorthlevenIron2PorthlevenIron2
    Participant
    Registered On: May 27, 2017
    Topics: 17

My Dad remembers this game. There was a welding apprentice who was there at his first scunthorpe match and he saw him get carried away on a stretcher after been knocked out by a flying brick from a millwall fan I believe.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Top first game that!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

I think we did them again in the FA Cup a few years later.

Didn’t Stuart Pilling score in the first minute?

Ex OfficioEx Officio
    Participant
    Registered On: December 28, 2013
    Topics: 3

Didn’t Stuart Pilling score in the first minute?

Yes we timed it at about 12 seconds – I was doing the ‘shot list’ for Harold Caine the photographer who was filming for Yorkshire TV. We were positioned at the bottom right corner of the cantilever.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Right again NI early kickoff due to the 3 day week, some of them came with black brollies with sharpened tips mimicking the clockwork orange film. Turned over a cafe on Donny road I believe. We then had the 2 games against Newcastle, who then went on to get all the way to Wembley winning every match away from home, then there was the forest game maybe you can give us some stories on that episode NI living up there.

smartm5smartm5
    Participant
    Registered On: February 24, 2022
    Topics: 0

For what it is worth, here is my contribution….

Best memory for me was watching Scunthorpe live on TV beat Millwall in the 2009 League One Play-off Final at Wembley. I was in Melbourne on a work trip when the match came on the hotel TV at 11pm. After becoming interested in Scunthorpe United and following their progress over about 30 years (from afar in Australia), it was the first time I had ever watched the Club play a match. The Playoff was an exciting match, with great goals and a fantastic result.

Second best memory (but unlikely to get votes from anyone else) was seeing Scunthorpe play WBA in a pre-season friendly in 2019. I was on holiday in the UK so it is the first, and only, time I have been to the ground and seen the Club play live.

Incidently, Matt Sparrow and Andy Keogh now live in Perth.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

We have Iron fans far and wide! :-)

What drew you to Scunthorpe, out of interest, smartm?

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Nice to hear from you smartm. Where in the UK or Australia are you from originally, out of interest? You’re right about the Millwall play off final on TV. It was an experience and a half being there before during and after the match, some unpleasant stuff but also some ecstatic moments, but I love watching the whole match again. It’s got everything. Might even do that again soon.

smartm5smartm5
    Participant

Honestly, as a young boy living in Perth in the 70s I used to read the Football Tables in the sports pages of the local Sunday Newspaper and the name stood out. I wondered who would name their town Scunthorpe, where it was, and what it was like. It was as simple as that.

I followed the progress of the Club like that for a long time, and then with the advent of the internet information has become so much easier to access. So I’ve learnt a lot more about the Club, the town and following progress became a lot easier.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    NorthumbironNorthumbiron

maybe you can give us some stories on that episode NI living up there.

I was in my last year at college. I went with a couple of neutral mates and for reasons I can’t recall went in the rather partisan Gallowgate End, which in 1974 was still a standing only terrace.

Remember Chris Simpkin clattering SuperMac early on, then when Nolan Keeley scored I went down on my knees, waving both fists in the air. My two mates moved away, and then I realised I was surrounded by several thousand Geordies.

I was expecting a good kicking but they just looked down at me and shook their heads.

McDermott’s equaliser was a hell of a shot. Neil Warnock could have won it for us but with McFaul lying on his back and the goal wide open he narrowly missed the corner flag!

Never made it down to the replay, of which I wasn’t too disappointed.

The previous year I’d been at Roker Park when we beat Hartlepool 2-1 in a second replay after two 0-0 draws.

Replays eh? Tell today’s kids about it and they won’t believe you!

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Sorry NI didn’t make it clear again😁 ment the Newcastle v forest game, the pitch invasion the intimidation of the officials the forced replay even though Newcastle won 4-3 on the day,wondered if you had any more info but probably not seen as you were at college. I was also in the gallowgate and they weren’t to friendly. If anybody’s name was on the cup that year it was Newcastle, but then they went to Wembley and turned out to be a utter waste of time.

billpuntonsghostbillpuntonsghost
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 72

The game at Huddersfield when we beat ‘em 4-1 was a great night ( Beagrie , Keogh,Sharp,Sparrow game)

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

A certain KK kicked their arses at Wembley that’s why Awaywego, I absolutely luved it luved it when the Geordies got beat. Nice one, sorry two, Kev

smartm5smartm5
    Participant

Deereyme66, I was born in London and emigrated as a child with my parents. This explains my interest in English Football (soccer) as well as Australian Rules Football.
    I watched the Playoff game again a few weeks ago and it was such an entertaining match; it would have been great to have been there!

NorthumbironNorthumbiron

Some of us were at Wembley a few weeks earlier to watch us lose the JPT to a Luton side that were on their way out of the Football League.

Oh, to swap places with them now!

RoamingBullRoamingBull
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 4

@ OSG against Leyton Orient. 3-2 what a turnaround.

Or Mike Lester jumping on the wall to celebrate his goal against Leeds.

FeO2FeO2
    Participant
    Registered On: October 30, 2021
    Topics: 4

I watched the Playoff game again a few weeks ago and it was such an entertaining match; it would have been great to have been there!

Hi smartm, it certainly was. When Wooly scored the winning goal, our supporters went absolutely crazy and my mate Steve’s glasses got knocked off. God knows how they survived with everyone jumping up and down!
    Nice to see you on ‘Bru, welcome.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron

When we won at Wembley in 1999 I lifted my son up. When we won in 2009 he lifted me up!

One of the joys of being a dad!

Deereyme66Deereyme66

I enjoyed a drink and a chat with some Leyton fans after the match in ’99. Got as far away from Wembley as possible to have a drink without Millwall fans in 2009.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Asked the ten year old grandson today on his best, Grimsby away and the Kvv goal and the 3-3 draw with Oxford coming back from 3-0 down.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.