Best Memories of Scunthorpe as a league club

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Best Memories of Scunthorpe as a league club

• Author
    NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Yes indeed and Peterborough was the other.

Effectively put Plymouth and Peterborough down and ensured we’d stay up.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Bloody hell, Scunny targeting Sheff utd as a winnable game, did it really happen? or was it all a dream.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 0

1993 Accrington Stanley away FA Cup 1st round. Played at Turf Moor with partisan Burnley fans in attendance. We won 3-2, Sammy Goodacre winner, on a par with Cliffs winner against Tranmere in 2009.

I hate Swann.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    DissConnectionDissConnection
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013

Wednesday cup win 1970, Terry Heath, Nigel Cassidy, George Kerr. Kevin Keegan talking to me and my mate outside training at West Common Lane, Sports Hall.Deferred pride when KK got straight into Liverpool first team. Hayes goal at Chelsea, Forest 4-0 win, Cliffys equaliser v Tranmere, MK dons play off penalty shootout, Crossers winner V Sheff United. Nina Simone blasting out from the crap PA system at OSG. Smell of Vimpto and Linament at OSG. Swopping ends at HT at OSG. Running onto pitch before Grimsby game 1972??? —-before most of their fans arrived!!!!! Peter do the decent thing and make sure the youth of Scunthorpe can create similar memories.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    BobbyGmeisterBobbyGmeister
    Participant
    Registered On: January 12, 2014
    Topics: 47

Hooper was not fully fit so Jon Forte led the line that night. Nigel held a couple of players back then brought them in for the important games against Plymouth and ???.

I remember you moaning like mad about the team selection at the time NI. 😀

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

You are Leslie Welch and I claim my £5 prize.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Ha, ha! I probably was Bobby for purely selfish reasons.

Desperately wanting to do the double over the black & white sludge, as it would have given me bragging rights for years!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    GreenunGreenun
    Participant
    Registered On: January 11, 2014

Beating Chelsea when we were in 2nd Division. Definately a night match. John Kaye scored one when he put Bonetti over the line whilst hold of the ball in the times when keepers wern’t protected species. Did John get a hat trick that night?

barriethomasbarriethomas
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 41

Barrie’s four goals at Elland Road takes some beating. UTWI

2 users thanked author for this post.
    bartonscorpionbartonscorpion
    Participant
    Registered On: July 20, 2015
    Topics: 43

Yes Barrie, I was at that match, great win, but was you at the 0-0 game at Leeds when both keepers played blinders, Garry Sprake for Leeds and Ken Jones for Scunny, both Weles Internationals, I also remember the steep bank you went up onto the terraces, it was real muddy and I slipped and went full length and flat out into thick mud. But that fall of mind was nothing near as painful as our clubs fall during the past four years, thanks to Swann.

Lord KitchenerLord Kitchener
    Participant
    Topics: 36

Too many to count. I would single out the FA Cup fourth round second replay at the Old Show Ground. Lots of faces in the crowd I hadn’t seen for ages, and the boys on the pitch didn’t let us down either.

Much much later, at Priestfield, we were beating Brighton. Then we had a conga going on singing ‘we are top of the league, we are top of the league.’ Brighton fans were leaving in their droves and we were singing ‘bye bye, bye bye,’ lol. Happy days…

Everytime refereePat O’Cake
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 17

3-2 v Orient
    Knocking Sunderland out of the cup 2-1 when they were top of Div 3
    Beating Chelsea 4-1 t home
    Chelsea away in the cup
    Spurs away
    Watching Beagrie, Hodges & Cleveland flying down the wings in the days when we played attacking football
    Lee Hodges screamer away at Orient
    Garcia’s header at Wembley
    3-2 v Milwall
    Jacksons free kick v Hull
    Keogh’s screamer at Donny
    Beckfords goal v Rotherham

billpuntonsghostbillpuntonsghost
    Participant
    Topics: 72

Beating Leeds 4-2 in the F A Cup is up there as one of my favourite memories.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

All of the above, Spurs away the coldest I’ve ever been at a football match. (I was colder one Boxing Day at Market Rasen races!!)
    I’m old enough to have been at the Blackpool 6-2 (2-1 down at HT) and, I suppose, as that was the first “big game” I saw it still tops the list.

mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 106

my first home league game v Plymouth 1961 and we won 5-1 with Barrie Thomas scoring 4 and having 2 disallowed, also the 2-1 win at Hillsborough in the late 60s.

adminSST
    Keymaster
    Registered On: December 19, 2013
    Topics: 82

Great thread on Twitter here:

3 users thanked author for this post.
    adminSST
    Keymaster
    Registered On: December 19, 2013
    Topics: 82

Enjoyed taking the piss out of that scruffy git Pete Winkleman, of MK Dons fame, who was hopping around on a piss soaked floor whilst trying to wash dog shit of his fancy shoes at Dagenham.

In typical Iron fashion, we were coasting at 3-0 up with twenty to go before that huge thunderstorm and the inevitable last minute equaliser!

IronIronIronIronIronIron
    Participant
    Topics: 6

At 3-0 I patted my now son-in-law on the back and said “you have now seen the Iron win a game”.

It was his seventh, and last, match.

I wonder if he has been sneaking in for the last six seasons?

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

The rogue water sprinkler at Kidderminster in mid 2000’s midweek match. May have been pre-match or half time. It changed direction and soaked a large contingent of home fans before they could escape. Farcical funny.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

May have been mentioned already but the 2003 FA Cup replay at Hillsborough was a special night. A big turnout, delirious at the end of the shootout.

BucksironBucksiron
    Participant
    Topics: 16

My first ever Iron match when we beat Derby 3-2 at the OSG, 24 March 1964, with my dad. Great Friday night game, with the sky glowing red as it used to. My recollection is that we came from behind to win 3-2 in a pulsating game, with over 7,000 fans.

Otherwise numerous memories, including our last ever game at the OSG, beating Huddersfield 2-0 to clinch promotion to the Championship and, of course, Millwall at Wembley.

Nobody can take those memories away and they’ll always stay with me.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

Looks like UTI99 has only the last few years experience to draw on, should be easy enough to pick the highlights out of that.

WestyorksironWestyorksiron
    Participant
    Registered On: October 13, 2021
    Topics: 1

In addition to all the great memories mentioned
    Scoring 8 at Torquay, and the vidiprinter writing eight to confirm it’s
    Hayes running from half way and scoring against Hull at home.
    The 2-0 away win at hull when Garcia made his debut and the Hull fans had a sit down protest in the centre circle
    Lee Hodges beating 5 players and firing past Roy Carroll, fans on the Donny road end seemed to jump forward 3 rows
    Beagrie beating lots of players, putting a brilliant cross in and Torps somehow missing from a yard when it was easier to score, think that was against Cambridge.
    The 2 Josh Morris wonder goals against Charlton, after replacing Clayton Lewis
    Adelakun’s injury time equaliser past Pickford at Bradford after were brilliant in the 2nd half.

IrishscunnyIrishscunny
    Participant
    Registered On: May 28, 2017
    Topics: 2

Paul Hayes goal v Chelsea to but us 1v0 in the FA cup.
    The play offs v mk dons

inspectorinspector
    Participant
    Registered On: September 11, 2016
    Topics: 11

Barrie bundled their keeper, Leiper, into the net with a shoulder charge at the Donny Road end for one of his goals.

dandaherron@yahoo.co.ukJust Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: August 1, 2014
    Topics: 9

Steve Deere in the Millwall FA cup win that set us up for Hillsborough. I can still picture the goal and the slightly nervous crowd reaction as there was a knot of Millwall crew sounding off in the Donny Road.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

5 years before my time but I’ve gotta ‘thank’ that haven’t I 😆

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

That was a rude awakening for us Scunny hooligans we thought we were the bee’s knees till Millwall came to town, well organised gathered outside the Royal then all came in together, we were all young lads,they had hooligans of all ages and the one that sticks in my mind was a forty something guy with a cast on whacking everyone with his walking stick,first crew to take the Donny road end. Very happy days.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

‘First crew to take the Donny road end. Very happy days.’

And you have a pop at Bobby G for making a sarcy comment about Grimsby possibly being promoted and me liking it? 😆👏

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

My youth was very happy times Deerey, and the cup run is still the only outstanding one to date why wouldn’t I be happy, did you have a bad experience?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.