• Author
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

“We have one player on 10k a month in the National League North ffs”

SST, I’m guessing this is Butterfield !

No.

I’m guessing it’s Whitehall, £2000 for scoring goals, £8000 for falling over like a wuss.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

I’m guessing Clunan based on what he sacrificed and what it took to prise him from King’s Lynn.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

I believe it’s Cal Roberts.

Not the lads fault but an astonishing amount. You soon begin to see the severity of our problem’s and why shipping out Tom Pugh will not be enough.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Got to be Roberts. Who else would command that kind of wage ?

I don’t care how good he is, he needs moving on and replacing with a loan player. That’s a piss take at this level.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

The problem with our high earners, especially those not playing much is Who will realistically take the contact off our hands?

I suggested Whitehall and Ogle to be sold first as there was at least some interest from York and Oldham previously and they’ve both had relatively good seasons thus far.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Roberts was my second guess

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Cliff’s right, it’s not any player’s fault what they are earning. It’s completely at the door of the ex-Messiah luring them with ridiculous contract offers.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013

The fact there are so many candidates tells you plenty about the state of our squad!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    qwertyqwerty
    Participant
    Registered On: July 3, 2022
    Topics: 1

Why are you all demanding our best players are sold? Let the board do their job and decide who goes and who doesn’t.

Promotion to the NL will probably be worth more than the 100k a year Roberts or any other players may be on.

I’m sure between the 6/7 board members they can get the club through this season then implement a more realistic budget.

Also when GP is signed over to the club more sponsorship will be forthcoming. Naming rights for GP hopefully being the first.

fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

Not all demanding anyone be sold

qwertyqwerty
    Participant

“ I don’t care how good he is, he needs moving on and replacing with a loan player. That’s a piss take at this level.”

Pretty demanding.

fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

“Why are you all “

qwertyqwerty
    Participant

You never change do you.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

I make it one poster who it could possibly be suggested has ‘demanded’ any players be moved on. Even that’s a stretch. ‘All’ is a total exaggeration.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

“He needs moving on” isn’t exactly me saying he should be moved on no matter what !

Look, if we’re able to move other players out and keep him then fine. If we manage to downscale elsewhere which means we can keep him, then also fine. Roberts is a massive talent so if we can somehow financially limp home until the end of the season with him on board and he’s a big help in promotion, even better.

I just think 10k a month for a club where we’re at is ridiculous. That kind of wage is league two kind of money. I’m by no means saying it’s the players fault as he’s been paid what was agreed but it’s still beyond excessive for where we are.

Chapman must be moved on as he’s nowhere near Fitzsimons in ability and he needs games. I suspect he’ll be on fair bit as well. Now that is one player where I would kind of demand he’s moved on as it makes perfect sense for both parties.

Roberts less so because when Smith goes back he can fill the gap. Hearts will receive offers with the form he’s shown here so can’t see him sticking around. The fee Hilton agreed to make it permanent we certainly won’t be able to pay.

IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 41

It’s almost like Hilton offered high wages deliberately to saddle the club with debt so it would eventually fold and then get the ground/land used for development…..who’d have thought Swann could’ve played the hero villain! It’s like Vader picking up the Emperor in Return of the Jedi. All this drama – if only we knew of a director who could monetize this into a Hollywood blockbuster.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

When he was interested at Bury, the Bury AFC members asked him why he was interested in the club and during this he said the land, so you could be right. Run the club down, make as much money off ponzi schemes and the club’s money in the meantime, then sell off the land, and walk away leaving the rest to deal with the consequences.

TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023
    Topics: 11

This £10k a month thing just opens up a whole can of worms. According to Fitzsimons, in his latest interview with Radio Humberside, he had absolutely no idea about all the off field stuff going on around Hilton when he signed and didn’t have very much to do with him. Presumably all the other big signings were similarly in the dark. Is it an amazing lack of diligence by their agents or did they just think take the big contract and if the club folds you can walk away and are good enough to get straight in somewhere else ?

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

If the various professional leagues and the FA are incapable of doing a competent fit and proper persons test then I don’t suppose players can expect their agents to do it properly.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Hilton Built a squad to get out this division in the first season down here that’s what we all wanted. If we do get out first time jobs a good un whatever the inflated wages we’re paying.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

The fact that when Boyce is in the match day squad Chapman never features would suggest that Jimmy rates Boyce a better replacement keeper than him.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

To me it would suggest Jimmy’s done his homework and he realizes that it’s very rare you need to sub your keeper, so an extra outfield player gives him more options.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Hilton Built a squad to get out this division in the first season down here that’s what we all wanted. If we do get out first time jobs a good un whatever the inflated wages we’re paying.

I also wanted a club to support even if we didn’t get promoted and it went caput, because of him, long before season end.

IronageIron Age
    Participant
    Registered On: April 10, 2019
    Topics: 55

To me it would suggest Jimmy’s done his homework and he realizes that it’s very rare you need to sub your keeper, so an extra outfield player gives him more options.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/17/scunthorpe-united-bristol-city-league-one-match-report

I still have nightmares.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

For ‘inflated’ read ‘suicidal’. As for agents not doing their homework; if they had, the players may not have trusted their judgement. Bit like the majority of supporters attitudes to fellow supporters that rightly held concerns based on evidence and history of Hilton.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    FerriteFerrite
    Participant

Promotion to the NL will probably be worth more than the 100k a year Roberts or any other players may be on.

Why will it? Where will the value come in promotion? From the huge away followings of Solihull Moors or Altrincham? From the big money National League TV deal? From the massive increase in the value of sponsorships from playing in English football’s 5th tier? I think we need to get real about the realities of football finances outside the Football League.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/17/scunthorpe-united-bristol-city-league-one-match-report

I still have nightmares.

That headline should have been “both keepers have their arms broken”. Never seen a bigger thug on the pitch than Smith.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

My nightmare was and still is Gilks going off and replaced by Rory in the playoffs against Rotherham, if I remember correctly is first touch of the ball was to get it out of the back of the net, and to be fair its being a mare ever since let the nightmare end.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

That headline should have been “both keepers have their arms broken”. Never seen a bigger thug on the pitch than Smith.

I’ve seen a few on par and one way worse. Lee Hughes at Notts County and Lee Thorpe ex Lincoln used to get away with all sorts.

Worst of all times for me was/is Sam Aiston left winger for Shrewsbury when he steamed into Gareth Sheldon, no intention to play the ball and jumped off the floor two footing him snapping his leg in two. This tackle if committed today would get a lengthy ban, no doubt the worst I’ve ever seen live or on tv.

The ref had clear view very much seeing the severity of it with the screams being heard from Sheldon all around the ground
    only gave Aiston a yellow card.

Following season he nearly broke his leg again with another needless lunge. Matt Smith had nothing on him.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    FerriteFerrite
    Participant

Yeah that tackle on Aiston basically ruined Sheldon didn’t it? It’s why I still get uncomfortable watching players hold the ball in the corner at the end of games.

But Smith was a dirty bugger, always played the man whenever he could and should have been sent off in that game when both keepers were injured.

Lee Hughes was a disgrace as a bloke but I never saw him as that dirty on the pitch, Thorpe is a good call though. And remember Cortez Belle who played for Chester under Ian Rush? I think he got more red cards than goals in his career!

CMCCMC
    Participant
    Registered On: July 14, 2022
    Topics: 32

Ben Chapman finishing Peter Morrison’s career too, his own career Went downhill after too.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.