Barton

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Barton

• Author
    cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Anybody on here go?

See we played Former youth player Finn Abraham and Joe rowley whom are on trial. Rowley in particular looks to have good experience at Chesterfield and Fylde.

Also Interesting to hear from
    butler’s interview that he played Beestin up top and stated it could be a possible position for him next year.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

3/5/2 formation with Law and Scales as wing backs. Possibly suggests we won’t be be paying with out and out wingers. Butler did say though that he’d be trying other things out so we’ll have to see.

Hunter and Rowley impressed and our ex youth player Burden looked promising. The two defenders on trial didn’t have to do much due to who we were playing so who knows when it comes to those two.

Kelly had a very slight thigh strain and Denton is a week behind the other players so we’re being careful with him. Denton is due to feature against Gainsborough.

Interesting in regards to Beestin, but I remember him saying his favoured position was upfront 2 or 3 seasons back so hardly a surprise and could prove to be a good link up top.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

Fair assessment WG. Abraham, Rowley and Hunter the pick of the trialists but Burden and Ferguson did OK.

Brogan looked decent and Carlton worked hard and has a bit of pace. Fishburn hasn’t got much pace and looked a bit lost but early days. 3 at the back introduces some interesting issues. Roberts played centre midfield – is that best use of arguably the leagues best winger?
    Denton, Kelly and Barrows are decent full backs. Are they really wing backs? Scales looked good as right wing back but not really tested defensively.

Still better to try formations in pre season training and friendlies than suddenly try it in 1 away game at Chester never to be seen again.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

‘Still better to try formations in pre season training and friendlies’

Or the first 2 games of a major tournament…

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 70

Certainly nice to read that some of those who got chopped by Hilton have been in on trial.

Judging by comments all things considered they have done well. Lets see what happens. Still 3 needed to make up to 21 previously said. Now training steps up and another game on saturday.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

If 3 at the back is the future will certainly be needing at least one more centre back.

To early to judge with one 45 minutes against Barton Town but Abraham worth another look or two. Burden took his goal well.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

In what way is it nice we’re giving trials to ex academy players.
    Cant they cast the net a bit wider, don’t get me wrong i hope they’re good enough but come on, has Swanny returned he wanted team of kids.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Fair assessment WG. Abraham, Rowley and Hunter the pick of the trialists but Burden and Ferguson did OK.

Brogan looked decent and Carlton worked hard and has a bit of pace. Fishburn hasn’t got much pace and looked a bit lost but early days. 3 at the back introduces some interesting issues. Roberts played centre midfield – is that best use of arguably the leagues best winger?
    Denton, Kelly and Barrows are decent full backs. Are they really wing backs? Scales looked good as right wing back but not really tested defensively.

Still better to try formations in pre season training and friendlies than suddenly try it in 1 away game at Chester never to be seen again.

Interesting conundrum with Roberts if we go 3-5-2; he’s our highest earner and the club desperately needs a return on their investment. However, is it worth shoehorning him into a system that doesn’t suit his strength? Square pegs, round holes has been a theme for the past 5 years.

I do like the idea of going 3-5-2 though, so often last year we stagnated as soon as the ball moved into the final third, additionally Denton could potentially thrive as a LWB as he seemed to enjoy playing in both halves and has the engine for it.

IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 40

3-5-2 is good when you have forward thinking fullbacks, it can quite quickly become 5-3-2 when we sit deep. Historically it hasn’t been the best approach at a narrow GP, hopefully might surprise a few though.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Cliff, Roberts would work in a 3/5/2 as the more advanced central midfielder of the 3. I thought he looked good there last season when played. Clunnan would have to be in there with either Brogan or Beestin, if Beestin isn’t up top.

if we do play this 352 formation we don’t really need Kelly/Law any more. Denton will end up being first choice and we wouldn’t need 3 who can play in that one position. Advantage of keeping Law is that if we do change formations he could play on the wing off the bench. The downside is, as we all know…he’s injury prone.

In my opinion Denton and Barrows would be perfect as wing backs. Barrows played further up the pitch during his last loan spell and Denton likes to bomb forward and has good energy. Scales would do well there and Law you would have thought would do well with due to having the safety net of 3 CB’s behind them.

Kelly I don’t think would be suited to play as a wing back. Whenever I’ve seen him he looks an out and out fullback and isn’t that great going forward. Put it this way, he’s not the most attacking full back that I’ve ever seen.

Abraham did pretty well, but due to him not having to do much I didn’t mention him. Looks to have something though and is only young at 18yrs old.

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 70

Abraham & Burden would have come through the academy so I do not see what we have wasted. Other trialists will get a chance.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Abraham & Burden would have come through the academy so I do not see what we have wasted. Other trialists will get a chance.

Both look really good youngsters. Abraham looked solid and Burden I was pretty impressed with and looks to have improved having been trained by better coaches at Coventry. Featured a lot for their u21’s and did fairly well for them. Took his chance well and looks a good finisher.

Good to have them both back.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2024
    Topics: 0

I didn’t make the Barton game but a pal of mine did so I’ve had a run down. 3/5/2 was my predicted formation given the absence of any wingers being signed and considering Law and Robert’s are so often out of action. I think 3/5/2 is preferable to the out of fashion 4/4/2 that some were crying out for under Jimmy. The trouble is 3/5/2 can quickly become 5/3/2 and I’m not sure Denton, Kelly or Barrows are really wingbacks. Will be interesting to see how Robert’s will fit into the team if we’re playing without wingers, considering he’s our most eye-wateringly expensive signing he will have to play (when fit!), assuming as the 10.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Anybody would think you’re hoping it goes tits up 414. Surely you can see why one would think that? Almost every post of yours has at least one bit that carries an air of impending doom. I wonder where all this is coming from? And why. Think I figured it out a while back. Not rocket science is it.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Did your pal take his burger van to Barton 414?

Iron414Iron414
    Participant

Just calling a spade a spade Deerey. When the seasons underway if we are playing good football the tone of my posts will certainly change. For what it’s worth I’m extremely positive about the board and all of the excellent work going on with off the pitch business. And I am certainly not the only one to have felt underwhelmed with recruitment and that the team MAY struggle this year. Sorry to disappoint Deerey but I’m just calling it as I see it. No scooby-doo style unmasking to be done here but for entertainment purposes please do share where your great detective work has led you… am I Hilton? Maybe I’m Swann? Or Elliott? Oh no it was another poster on here that you accused of being Elliott wasn’t it?!

Deereyme66Deereyme66

‘For what it’s worth I’m extremely positive about the board’

I didn’t mention the board. And I don’t recall accusing someone else on here of being Elliott either.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017

Paranoid by Black Sabbath, great song.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant

Paranoid by Black Sabbath, great song.

To be expected I suppose after all of the ‘burner’ accounts across the various social media pages but on this occasion Deerey is a little wide of the mark as I’m just a grumpy fan who’s a little fed up as the reality of our financial predicament has started to bite!

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Okay, why are you fed up about the reality of the financial situation? The overwhelming majority of Iron fans are no doubt extremely happy and grateful that we have a club to support. I appreciate not all will be. But this is far from your only gripe is it.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

What financial situation? We now probably have the least debt in all of the Nln.
    Already brought in an gate income of more than every other club will do for a full year barring 3 clubs, where’s the problem.
    Wake up and smell the coffee.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

“as the reality of our financial predicament has started to bite!”

A ball hasn’t been kicked yet so I don’t get why your already have it in your own head that the squad is weaker. We still haven’t finished strengthening the squad yet. If we were to sign Rowley and Hunter have 2 players who have performed well at much higher levels than we’re currently at.

Putting that to one side, a huge part of the debt I believe will be paid up by the time this season comes around. The Iron Aid/open day will rake in an absolute fortune and all that will be going back to the club. All the catering now is in house.

Michelle did say she would be looking to clear the debt before the season starts and firmly believe that to be the case. Not doubt we have no Butterfield type marquee signing but that’s not to say we’re hugely weaker by any means.

I’ve been extremely suspicious of iron414 from the 1st day he/she posted. All you’ve done is bash the club post in post out, bit of a questionable mindset of a supposed fan.

Is there anybody at the club you haven’t had an go at ?

I confused as to what your game is because it doesn’t add up.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Anybody going to the iron aid/open day.
    Shan’t bother myself what with the Halifax friendly the day before, just wondered if there’s any interest at all.
    Imo it’s asking a bit much of fans to turn out and spend 2 days running.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

I’ve been extremely suspicious of iron414 from the 1st day he/she posted. All you’ve done is bash the club post in post out, bit of a questionable mindset of a supposed fan.
    Is there anybody at the club you haven’t had an go at ?
    I confused as to what your game is because it doesn’t add up.

It could be a memory lapse on my part (not unusual) but didn’t 414 arrive at about the time that SNOT departed?

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

I thought that at first but the lack of info makes me think its not him.

TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023

I’m still laughing awaywego, thanks !

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.