At what point do we consider the manager is the problem?

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace At what point do we consider the manager is the problem?

• Author
    cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 86

Change the formation – I think he will Cliff. If McGahey is OK he has the opportunity to go 5 at the back, with his 3 defensive midfielders he then has a fantastic chance to get the 0-0 he so desperately craves.
    As for getting rid of the manager, denying 3,000 fans the opportunity to chant “Cox Out” at least once at GP just wouldn’t be fair.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

With the exception of our need for another striker – which is an absolute must – I believe this team should easily avoid the drop.
    3 decent CBs; a CM which would work as part of a functioning unit; FBs and spares; hopefully KVV back and even Olomola; a more or less adequate GK – why would we go down?

The answer is that old chestnut – a failure to play 4 – 4 – 2

vadervader
    Participant
    Registered On: October 21, 2017
    Topics: 6

I think your been a bit optimistic Cass expecting 3000 in the sinking sands when it opens I think it will be more like 1500/2000

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 83

I’m sure Cox said not long back Van Veen won’t be fully fit till end of Feb, by then it will be too late.

I still don’t know why he doesn’t stick Green up there with Loft and go 4/4/2.

I don’t think having another striker will mean 4/4/2 anyway. I think he’s deadset and stubborn now to go down this route with this formation.

RoamingBullRoamingBull
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 4

We all don’t know some of the stupid decisions he makes.
    Yesterday was utter Bollox again!!

Too many in midfield were tripping over each other whilst loft waded around in Morecambe bay looking for cockles. Might as well the service he got.
    The service he generally gets is shocking it’s either around his neck or just punted into outer space. We know he’s not the most gifted but give at least someone to play with and give him a chance.

GlanfordgiantAndrew
    Participant
    Topics: 3

Now. That’s when we consider the manager the problem. He’s had enough time to turn that squad into some kind of coherent and effective unit, whatever the injuries or anything else chucked at him/them. No clue going forward, no clue at the back, formations a shambles, no attacking intent and players disinterested all over the pitch. And where is Lillis? A club legend who should be out at least giving his insight to us as to what is happening and plans to fix it, but nope zip, zero, nil output. Not a peep. Management team out, all of them. If we survive it’s by sheer luck. Don’t give him the start of next season, if we fluke staying up then wipe the slate clean. And before you all jump on the ‘who would do better’ line frankly anyone with some semblance of organisation and an ability to instil belief in the squad would do.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Square Ball BullimoreSquare Ball Bullimore
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 5

And before you all jump on the ‘who would do better’ line frankly anyone with some semblance of organisation and an ability to instil belief in the squad would do.

Raz Clayton, Andy Crosby, Pete Daniels, Mark Jackson, Paul Tisdale (Des Comerford would be happy).

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 64

Provided the tug their forelocks to the Great I-am!

ironrich1ironrich1
    Participant
    Registered On: September 30, 2015

I do feel for Cox, he’s been dealt an incredibly bad hand – and for his first role in management that isn’t particularly fair on him.

However, as with many things in life, you’ve got to work with what you’ve got – this means getting maximum performance from your staff for as long as possible before a) you’re in a position to force the crap ones out or b) the high performers may sadly jump ship on their own accord.

Whilst I don’t disagree with any of Cox’s comments in his post match interviews, and clearly he feels massively let down, I just do not see what he hopes to achieve by publicly slating his players. There’s nothing wrong in thinking that someone isn’t good enough but publicly stating these thoughts so that it’s splashed all over the internet and the newspapers is an entirely matter.

Not sure my motivation and performance would improve if my manager essentially told me that I was sh*t and would never be good enough?

We’ve seen that the team can grind out results when all pulling in the same direction, but motivation, confidence and desire to succeed seems to be at all time low.

mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 100

I can’t understand why Karacan didn’t start yesterday, the game should have been targeted for a must win but midfield was too defensive and after they scored the first goal the team then gave up.
    Neil does swap the team about too much even if it is not through injuries, but I have not seen another team get injuries like we do.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Double edged sword really, as Cox slags off the players publicly, Swann takes contract extensions off the table early for players who have not signed yet. The players, particularly of late, have shown poor professionalism in their attitude and desire to give their all for the club on the pitch. All these points put together are the reason we are once again staring down the relegation barrel after the team and management had done so well to turn things around since Xmas. It’s a bloody mess but it’s entirely of the club and management’s own making with the players pathetic response compounding the issue. The modern professional player and the old fashioned professional player, never has the gap been so wide, particularly in terms of attitude.

ironrich1ironrich1
    Participant
    Registered On: September 30, 2015

The open criticism of players is perhaps down to naivety and inexperience.

The mishandling of contracts mid way through a season though? When will we ever learn?

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

I think taking the new contracts off the table if they’re still unsigned is a reasonable, positive and wholely acceptable stance by the chairman. IMO many of the current onfield problems have been caused by the manager continuing to pick the players concerned and expecting them to be bothered.

SODIronSODIron
    Participant
    Registered On: July 8, 2014
    Topics: 20

My thoughts are that Cox took the job too soon. We needed an experienced manager to get the best out of this carbuncle that we laughingly call a football team.

A major part of the role of a manager is having the ability to get the best out the players he has. Now we know that the players are not that great, however we would expect that they could be coached enough to stop making the same mistakes week after week. Instead what we see is a team devoid of confidence, and unable to get even the basics right. Regardless of the issues within the club, this falls directly on the manager’s shoulders.

It pains me to say this, I would actually be sacking Cox now. Scunthorpe United have amassed 2 points since March, and we appear to be going backwards in momentum. With three matches left I actually cannot see us getting a single point for the rest of the season unless something is changed.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 146

Managers can’t win either way, keep you lips sealed and fans demand to know what’s going on,open your gob and your still wrong, it depends which is your side, I am on the side of keeping lips sealed, always have high regard for Alexander in that regard.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 52

Neil does swap the team about too much even if it is not through injuries, but I have not seen another team get injuries like we do.

The injuries we’ve suffered this season is mind boggling. I understand more games in a shorter period results in more muscle injuries- but we have lads hardly playing games like Olomola/Jarvis/Turan constantly injured.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 64

How do you get injured doing nowt?

vadervader
    Participant
    Registered On: October 21, 2017
    Topics: 6

How do you get injured doing nowt?

It’s called “don’t want to play syndrome” or “just can’t be ar*ed”

Both very difficult to treat effectively with current management approach.

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 61

Perhaps one question that could be asked is why did no player want to go out on loan in the January window ?

And why didn’t we put some out there anyway as it was obvious some were never going to get a chance.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

Possibly either:-
    1. They love playing for Scunthorpe so much that they couldn’t bear to leave even temporarily, or
    2. They think they’re too good for the NL, or maybe
    3. Nobody wanted them.

GlanfordgiantAndrew
    Participant

I mean we must be getting close to blame for the manager? His team, his players (although hamstrung it seems by our top scouting team) and nothing seems to have changed. I guess he is cheap to employ because others have gone from our hotseat for a lot less. Like the bloke but how long do we hold on?

SharpShooter24Sharp_Shooter24
    Participant
    Registered On: April 24, 2014
    Topics: 76

He’s not a football league manager!!

Never had been!!

Watching his teams play football is painful

I hate to say it, because he seems like a nice guy, but he’s tactically inept!!!

He will not survive this season

anoldironanoldiron
    Participant
    Topics: 2

It’s still a bit early although he is starting to look like a common factor but there’s no chance he will go as theres probably no spare money to pay him off.

bartonscorpionbartonscorpion
    Participant
    Registered On: July 20, 2015
    Topics: 43

It’s still a bit early although he is starting to look like a common factor but there’s no chance he will go as theres probably no spare money to pay him off.

AnoldIron——you are saying it is still a bit early, so carrying on from last seasons disasterous record, the Scunthorpe team has the brilliant record under Coxes guidance of :-

ONE WIN IN OUR LAST SEVENTEEN MATCHES. AND TWO WINS IN OUR LAST TWENTY FIVE MATCHES, AND YOU ARE SAYING IT IS A BIT EARLY, CHRIST MAN, THE GUY HASN’T GOT A BLOODY CLUE.

So we are four days into another new season, and we are 24th in League 2 (bottom that is), and already out of the League Cup, by that recogning, our season will be finished by November after another 1st round knock out of the FA Cup, like last season probably to a non-league club, or maybe a village team if one reaches round one!!!!

I like many more are very sad to see our club get worse and worse as each season passes, for Christ sake throw in the towel Swann, you are like your manager, bloody clueless.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Topics: 83

As said on another thread, we are dreadfully short of striking options with a young, somewhat untried albeit talented young striker on the bench.

Non league match tonight which you would have thought would have been the perfect time to stick him up there with Loft and see what he’s made of.

Instead of that he sticks Loft upfront on his own which clearly doesn’t work and packs the defence.

I’m truly mystified why he didn’t start both Jessop and Wilson, doesn’t he realise they need game time to help bed them in ?

All this crap about having to depend on the youngsters and he’s failed to even play them in a game which would be described as many as a shot to nothing.

Swann is a disease this club should have avoided like the plague and Cox is incompetent. Failing to play Jessop when we’re as limited as we are in that position and to not start him is one of the most oddest decisions he’s made.

There’s just no sense behind it whatsoever.

Fast forward another 90 minutes without a goal..still got hardly no options upfront and still non the wiser what Jessop’s capable of at pro level.

Even from this early on, I think it’s fair to say he’s learned nothing from last season.

anoldironanoldiron
    Participant
    Topics: 2

The only reason I said a bit early was it’s a new squad who have played two games, however I agree the end point will be the same Cox will go although I expect the chairman will persevere in an effort to preserve cash.
    I think it’s more likely Cox will walk of his own accord due to lack of resources.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

We needed a complete rebuild with 10 or more in to replace the 20 out. Whilst that has happened to a degree there were priority areas to be addressed. Two of those were experienced ‘keeper and a regular scorer IIRC. It would seem that the (insert perceived culprit here) didn’t agree and therefore it’s reasonable to question their ability to do the job required.

mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 100

He does seem to say in the Summer we want to play a certain formation, but when it comes to serious competition he reverts to another formation that doesn’t work.

bartonscorpionbartonscorpion
    Participant
    Registered On: July 20, 2015
    Topics: 43

He does seem to say in the Summer we want to play a certain formation, but when it comes to serious competition he reverts to another formation that doesn’t work.

Time after time after time this happens at Scunthorpe Mick, do you think that he is being instructed by the Chairman on the system the team plays, surely no manager can possibly be so inept, and also survive with a record like Cox has, all I ever read in Coxes favour is that he is a very nice guy, this may be so, but he is at the same time spoiling thousands of peoples leasure time of watching their football team entertain them!!!!!

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 146

If only the chairman would tell the manager what system to play.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.