Home Forums The New Blast Furnace Any old Iron stories?

Deereyme66
    Participant
    Topics: 121
    Replies: 3836

I’m sure a lot of us would love to hear any personal stories and anecdotes from those that followed the Iron in the 50’s and 60’s. C’mon, share them with us. I bet there’s some right laughs in there.

Awaywego
    Participant
    Topics: 30
    Replies: 599

born in 55 won the world cup on my birthday in 66, earliest memory scunny lincoln lge cup then queuing amongst thousands down hendy ave to get tickets for the arsenal game it was like winning the lottery,then we equalized against the mighty arsenal, what a feeling that was me hooked for life.just one from the 70s i nicked into every home game during 73/74 season other than the newcastle cup game climbed the fence behind petrol station on donny road i was quite proud of that achievement at the time.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 248
    Replies: 10964

Born in 53 and spent the first six years of my life living in Brigg where my parents had a pub. Some of the Scunthorpe players frequented it and made a fuss of a 5/6 year old who was just getting interested in the beautiful game. I remember that great season of 57/58, the first time I’d followed the results. One of the team (in later years my dad said it could have been Jack Haigh) gave me a Charles Buchanan Football Annual as a present.

We moved to Scunthorpe at the end of the 58/59 season and because my dad was now a club steward he got Tuesdays off so was able to take his excited son to evening games. I’m pretty sure we kicked off at 7:15pm in those days to fit in with shift work.

It was just the Old Showground of course but to a schoolboy it could have been the Bernabau! Great memories of smells and sounds. Being passed down to the front to sit on the perimeter wall with similarly aged urchins. Then as I got older and stated playing for the school team watching and trying to model myself on my heroes. Barrie Thomas, Jackie Marriott, Archie Gibson.

But my favourite story (which I’ve told before) concerns the best goalie I’ve seen play for the Iron – Ken Jones. My friend used to live at the off license at the top of Market Hill (before they built the flats). Ken would come in for his crate of beer and we would take him into the back yard, stack up some empty crates for a goal and take shots at him. I remember him as a really nice bloke, although he liked a drink and a smoke.

Looking through rose-tinteds of course, but the simplicity of the game and the atmosphere at those night matches will live long in the memory.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Deereyme66
    Participant
    Topics: 121
    Replies: 3836

Not heard the Ken Jones anecdote before NI. Love it. ‘Beer creates for goal posts’ 😂👏

Awaywego, I reckon that’s a record. However, If and many others were occasionally getting in the same way 8 years later, you’d have thought someone would have blocked it. I suppose that was the thing about the OSG; lots of interesting features built up over years with lots of potential entry points for scallywags to get in through.

Awaywego
    Participant
    Topics: 30
    Replies: 599

Wish glanny park was as easy to nick in😂, Have it on good authority that certain members of winterton iron pensioners were getting in sheff utd with kids tickets when we went, perhaps Barrie Thomas could let us know.

TwoWrights
    Participant
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 1794

Cripes, there’s some old gits on here! ;-)

It’s our time.

Iron-awe
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 4166

It’s our time.

Yep, including you. ;-)

TwoWrights
    Participant
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 1794

It’s our time.

Yep, including you. ;-)

😁

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.