Another appointment I supported… BUT…

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Another appointment I supported… BUT…

• Author
    SharpShooter24Sharp_Shooter24
    Participant
    Registered On: April 24, 2014
    Topics: 77

When is Hill going to get this team scoring or… winning???

If he can’t is he actually any better than Cox???

Lord KitchenerLord Kitchener
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 36

I think the next three matches are like 6 pointers. Teams closer to us in the league than we have been playing of late.

It really is time to start scoring…

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

Hill enjoying the usual length of injury list for which our club is famed.
    At least this has brought Cribb to the fore.
    A star in the making?

alcazaralcazar
    Participant
    Topics: 50

Injuries?
    Or…..?

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 70

Jury out for me with Mr Hill. Never thought I would be so disappointed.

From day 1 stability needed bringing. A formation that we stuck to and all got used to it. Now it is the scattergun approach – like trying to pin the tail on the donkey !!

Yes we have had injuries that is why a set approach accepts replacements far easier. We are going out with a whimper, that was never the Scunthorpe United attitude – they would battle and fight and attack at every opportunity.

That season Ron Ashman worked the miracle he abandoned the style he enjoyed. He told his players we need goals, get the ball we need it in the penalty area a.s.a.p and he gradually stopped the rot.

The January window has been a failure, and with his experience you wonder.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

I think the next three matches are like 6 pointers. Teams closer to us in the league than we have been playing of late.
    It really is time to start scoring…

We couldn’t score against a team that hasn’t kept a home clean sheet since August. ( Ref. RH ) When will we get a better chance?

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

Injuries?
    Or…..?

Look, it’s Covid. It has affected us far more than any other club. How often does the chairman need to tell you this!!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Seems just as stubborn as others, Jarvis not even making the subs bench, he’s nothing special but better than what’s on show at the moment.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    razorironrazoriron
    Participant
    Registered On: July 25, 2015
    Topics: 12

I will cut him a huge amount of slack this season. There was only so much you can do with a very limited budget. They club and Hill performed very well shipping so many out in January. Yes granted the players brought in have not set the world alight with winning football but he bought in players (Feeney and Grant) we probably wouldn’t have been able to get in otherwise had it not been for his influence.The damage had already been done in the last 3 or 4 windows with the plethora of low quality cheap signings Swann allowed us. Mark my words in the Vanarama next season,this is where you will see Hills quality as a manager where I fully expect at very least a solid season of stability.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    f row crewf row crew
    Participant
    Registered On: June 22, 2020
    Topics: 18

A solid season of stability….in the national league….wow how exciting is that to look forward to. That should bring the crowds back. The club is knackered until Swann ships out.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    premierironpremier iron
    Participant
    Registered On: October 6, 2014
    Topics: 28

I wonder if Hill was able to bring the players in he wanted or did he have the best of the leftovers.Some of them have hardly played this season

Grange Lane IronGrange Lane Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 3

Hill is not to blame for this mess IMO. It’s no secret he wanted more players to leave in January, but he couldn’t get them out, plus incomings were always going to be difficult especially when sat bottom of the league and under an embargo. I honestly look at his days at Rochdale where he did a very good job for them over a good few seasons and he got Tranmere to the playoffs in this division. The manager isn’t the problem here IMO.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

We have to face facts Nuttall, Pyke and Sinclair don’t have 10 league goals between them in their careers. We needed 20 from the 3 of them in less than half a season to have a chance of staying up. Let’s be honest none of them have looked very likely to score 1 yet. Always going to be a very long shot and you don’t pick up goalscorers at the arse end of the January window.

Jarvis is hardly the answer with 2 goals in 2 years and is clearly not league (or even National League) standard.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Makes you wonder why Hill let Loft and hippo go to replace em with the shite he’s brought in. What did he see that we don’t.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Topics: 101

I will cut him a huge amount of slack this season. There was only so much you can do with a very limited budget. They club and Hill performed very well shipping so many out in January. Yes granted the players brought in have not set the world alight with winning football but he bought in players (Feeney and Grant) we probably wouldn’t have been able to get in otherwise had it not been for his influence.The damage had already been done in the last 3 or 4 windows with the plethora of low quality cheap signings Swann allowed us. Mark my words in the Vanarama next season,this is where you will see Hills quality as a manager where I fully expect at very least a solid season of stability.

None of the players we signed in January have shown anything that suggests they’re better than the players who left in January. Some might point to Grant but he’s had some crap games too. Feeney doesn’t seem to have offered much, the two strikers look woefully out of touch and Sinclair isn’t much better. Delaney at a push? That’s about it.

I’ve seen absolutely nothing from Hill in his 20-odd games to suggest he’s got a plan for this team. If anything, we’ve gone backwards since his first few matches in charge.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

Hill is not to blame for this mess IMO. It’s no secret he wanted more players to leave in January, but he couldn’t get them out, plus incomings were always going to be difficult especially when sat bottom of the league and under an embargo. I honestly look at his days at Rochdale where he did a very good job for them over a good few seasons and he got Tranmere to the playoffs in this division. The manager isn’t the problem here IMO.

Hill’s not the main problem, no doubt about that, but the fact we still don’t have any sort of attacking plan and still don’t look anything like a team is down to coaching – or lack of it. When did we last score from open play? Bristol Rovers?

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

All about opinion and I’ve only been to home games this season but I’ve not seen Grant have a crap game yet IMO, bloody glad we’ve got him in TBH. He’s the only decent experienced centre midfielder we have in the squad, Beestin has been terrible due to his Covid situation and since Hippo departed the others bloody anonymous most of the rest of the time. Feeney has fits and starts but is mainly a winger although he could slot in anywhere across midfield if required, that’s the difference experience gives you. It’s a team game and it’s true to say collectively as a team we have not been good enough and is why we are going down. I expect Hill to do well next season even if the current numpty is still running the show, which I hope he isn’t.

IronIronIronIronIronIron
    Participant
    Topics: 6

go

I can’t believe how many people are making out that Hill is a Messiah.

We have had no new manager bounce, we have seen no consistent improvement, the new players are not performing any better than thoae they have replaced and the stats are just as bad as they were under Cox

I am underwhelmed.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

Can’t argue that the stats/results haven’t improved, however Delaney, Feeney & Grant are an improvement IMO. You could also argue that Burns, Nuttall & Pyke are an improvement but, looking at what we had, they’re almost bound to be. We also look as if we have some idea of how we want to play but sadly lack the ability to do it. We don’t collapse from exhaustion after an hour now either.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Should have mentioned Delaney cass, he has been an improvement too which for a loan player is encouraging and yes you are right to mention the fitness under Hill, much improved but then again he’s a proper experienced manager, Cox wasn’t.

ironmaster1ironmaster1
    Participant
    Registered On: January 26, 2022
    Topics: 0

Don’t have much hope for us getting back in the league at the first attempt, Look at the cods had a good start they are struggling to reach the playoffs. Some of them like Wrexham, Chesterfield, Stockport all have new wealthy owners, even the cods have 2 local new owners, who have invested in the team and the infrastructure. It will be a bloody miracle if we win promotion first time. Only 1 goes up with the rest fighting it out in the playoffs.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

All about opinion and I’ve only been to home games this season but I’ve not seen Grant have a crap game yet IMO, bloody glad we’ve got him in TBH.

Only highlights but look at the clips from the Rochdale game a couple of weeks back. Check out the way their players walk away from Grant and he either can’t or won’t get back. Maybe he had a good game overall and he’s clearly a handy player but I just wanted to highlight that even the “good” signings have had some pretty ropey moments.

IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 41

Hill got the players the embargo let him get – he has had OK games and disastrous games – but we’re expecting a club which is dying to suddenly get up and perform – budgets went from OTT to manage on your own overnight – add to that a loan on a club which had zero debt (if you believe what the chairman says) but needed the loan to survive.

I reckon Hill had none of these players earmarked to come in but had to see what was left (hence end of Jan signings).

Hill isn’t a messiah and time will tell if he is just another decent manager to fail under Swann which is the only place to point the finger for where we find ourselves.

8 users thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Never said Grant was brilliant Ferrite and I respect your point but overall he has been good and yes maybe he didn’t get back a couple of times, is that fitness or couldn’t give a toss?, personally I would say fitness, he works hard in midfield compared to others and at 34 probably feels his legs after 70 minutes. Don’t think it makes him crap but it’s just my opinion.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017

Speaking to an Oldham fan at the weekend. They still have an embargo and only signed 2-3 players plus Sheridan. Our embargo is often cited as a big reason the Jan window appears to have failed. How come Oldham have managed okay with it?

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

Never said Grant was brilliant Ferrite and I respect your point but overall he has been good and yes maybe he didn’t get back a couple of times, is that fitness or couldn’t give a toss?, personally I would say fitness, he works hard in midfield compared to others and at 34 probably feels his legs after 70 minutes. Don’t think it makes him crap but it’s just my opinion.

Don’t disagree with any of that, my point is simply that we completely tore up our squad at the end of January with something like 8 or 9 new signings and, really, only one or two of them have actually improved the squad and even the good ones haven’t really pulled up any trees. I don’t really see what the point was – we finished December with a fine away win at Oldham and a team that finally looked like it could do something, so what did we do? Immediately decided to sell Loft and by the time we played Oldham at home only TWO players started who had also started the away game.

I get that the embargo and the (lack of) budget meant that it was difficult to sign players but a lot of them feel like signings for the sake of making signings. Pyke & Nuttall vs. Loft & Jarvis? Sinclair & Feeney over Hippolyte & Green? Let’s be right, all of those are steps backwards.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

Ferrite I think we knew Green and Jarvis were not League level players. They had plenty of chances over a couple of year and failed to take them.

Green had pace but could not pass or shoot. He never looked like scoring and I’ll be buggered if I can remember an assist. Most of his runs ended with him on his arse and if there was a resulting free kick it usually went to the opposition.

Jarvis worked hard most of the time and very occasionally flattered to deceive e.g. his cracking headed goal. Most of the time he looked what he was. A 6 or 7th tier footballer.

Loft had some skill and had a decent game about 1 in 5 games. Seemed quite good at self delusion and thought he was too good to play for a shite team. Not exactly pulling up trees for the slightly less shite team he plays for now. Hippolyte was pretty dammed hopeless for a season and a half and then had a run of half a dozen games where he looked adequate. Such was the dross around him that some of us (me included) mistook that for being good. Saw half an hour of him playing for Stockport the other day and he looked OK in what is obviously a better football team than the one he left. For me he is the only one of the four we have missed.

Hill had to try something at the end of January and Swann funded 7 or 8 lottery lucky dips. Delaney has so far proved the only winning ticket. Grant might do so yet and certainly an upgrade on Kenyon. Feeney and Sinclair the jury is very much out. Pyke and Nuttall have rather demonstrated why they have such poor scoring records and why they were not wanted by their home clubs.

The problem here though is not Hill’s panic “buys” in the January sales. It is the 3 years of recruitment by the non footballing father and son combo.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 41

One thing I will say is that Hill’s diamond formation rarely works – Rowe looks garbage in that sitting role and he is so slow when we lose possession and get countered he just cannot keep up.

The fact that Hippo leaving is a loss in some eyes shows how really shit we are.

Everytime refereePat O’Cake
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 17

Can anyone name a better Manager that we could have got at the time of Hill’s appointment? A team in complete freefall, with a transfer embargo and with an owner known as a sacker and meddles in team affairs?? We are not an attractive option for any Manager worth his salt.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017

‘Can anyone name a better Manager that we could have got at the time of Hill’s appointment?’

John Sheridan?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.