Annoying trend

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Annoying trend

• Author
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

4 matches at the weekend halted for medical emergencies in the stands, Fulham’s game was halted for 37 mins, why all of a sudden are games been halted its not as though it’s something new,now fair enough if an air ambulance was needed to land on the pitch, do we really need to go that far and halt the game, or as a society do we all need to join in and show gushy empathy and sentiment. Like what happened after the death of Diana?. It’s not like the stands are the best place to treat someone anyway.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Noticed there’s been a big increase in this. Have any clubs and officials said why it’s happening more?

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

I’d say Covid but, as we’re the only club affected, it can’t be that.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Remember when Eriksen collapsed on the pitch in the Euro’s and anti vaxxers said his heart condition was due to the covid vaccine, till it was pointed out he had not been vaccinated. Dont know why there are more stoppages in games when a member of the crowd is taken ill and requiring instant medical care. Are we just becoming more socially aware that life is really more important than football ( Bill Shankly would disagree ) and that peoples concerns regarding the fragility of life have changed? Maybe thats it,I believe we have certainly become more health and life conscious since the pandemic arrived and after all it’s only bloody football.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 106

also the fan at Fulham passed away.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66

As an aside, Eriksen’s just signed for Brentford

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

If stopping the game means club doctors/medical personnel can attend the incident with a defib then I’m all for it.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

As an aside, Eriksen’s just signed for Brentford

Yep and Ivan Toney cut his hair last week and scored a goal, maybe that is the reason he’s not scored many this season, his long hair sapping his mojo.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013

I was stood next to an elderly fan at the Carlisle game in 2007 when we were League 1 champions. 10 minutes in he collapsed suffering a heart attack. Getting the attention of the St Johns’ responders let alone the club doctor was very difficult. Fortunately we were on the terrace so people could make space easily (would have been impossible in the seats) but you still had people nearby reacting the game and moving around whilst we were performing CPR. Stopping the game would have helped get medical assistance across more quickly and might have helped fans nearby realise we needed space.

So whilst it can be annoying, I can understand why it’s now standard protocol in these circumstances.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    PhilAndersPhilAnders
    Participant
    Registered On: July 10, 2017
    Topics: 5

Many years ago, I went to Blundell Park with a friend who was a Cod Season Ticket holder, using his mates season ticket to sit next to him on the Fish Finger Stand. About a third of the way through the first half, and excitement…. The bloke in the seat in front started to shake and foam at the mouth. Being a first aider my mate lept to assist putting his clean hanky in the guys mouth to stop him biting his tongue and holding him down to stop him banging his head on the concrete. Suddenly, 2 of Humbersides finest appear, dragging my mate off the fitting man, frogmarching him off to the Police post. Fortunately, the epileptic guy came round and at half time tried to explain, along with myself and 2 other blokes who had seen what happened, to the senior steward and a police sargeant. The response was mainly” well if we let him off , everyone will start using that excuse!”. But let him off they did, on condition he handed in his season ticket which the club would return once they had completed their investigation into the incident. They never did….and my mate….a lifelong cod head has never returned to Blundell Park!!!

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Come on! 45 minute hold up at Sunderland last night 35 min stoppage + another 10 min warm up, it’s all getting silly now, get them out and get them to hospital,never used to happen and needs eradicating.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

I reckon if you took a poll on that at any sporting stadium you’d be vastly out voted. And rightly so. In essence you’re advocating disregarding one person’s life over delaying an event by 45mins. Wow, what an inconvenience. By the time they’ve got them out and to hospital they could easily be dead. But hey, a few thousand people got home a bit earlier. If it needs eradicating, as you say, I’m sure there’s more informed people than you at a stadium to make that decision.

HeathHeath
    Participant
    Registered On: August 5, 2017
    Topics: 17

He’d prefer it if they swapped the defibrillator for a wheelbarrow to dump them outside the ground for collection.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Awaywego, From the hundreds of replies to numerous Twitter posts about last night’s incidence, I can’t find one person that thinks stopping the game needs to be eradicated. Example below. Amongst a small percentage of anti-vax conspiracy theorists the vast majority merely wish the unfortunate individual well. You may pride yourself on having little empathy, as you’ve stated in the past, but surely you’re not completely devoid of compassion?

6 users thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

I would expect a delay but 52 mins (it turned out to be) not appropriate, these episodes happen everywhere and always have done, have you seen anywhere else shut down? never mind for so long, wouldn’t it be better to get them to the physio room and work on them there, as for inconvenience I would hate to think that 40/50 fans would have to pay £80/100 to get home from London on the train on Saturday because they missed their booked train if I became ill.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Can’t see one comment out of hundreds that are anyway near along those lines either.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

It’s not about last night game, Look at the title of the thread,and my first post, where are you seeing this happen outside of football? Rugby,cricket,the cinema,pubs, in shops? I take no pride in having little empathy or filter it has caused me problems all my life especially amongst family and friends I just can’t help it,

Deereyme66Deereyme66

You’re not going to see it as much in those other settings you mention because they’re not as highly attended as football (shops pubs and cinemas aren’t large sporting events). There’s a good article about the issue here:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fans-medical-emergeny-stadiums-fulham-b2004017.html

Deereyme66Deereyme66

I’ve just read your OP again as you suggested. Main thing I took away was the massively irrelevant comparison to the death of Diana.

SODIronSODIron
    Participant
    Registered On: July 8, 2014
    Topics: 22

Complaining that a football match was paused whilst medical staff tried to save a supporters life! Jesus ‘H’ Christ I’ve heard it all now!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Were you in the home end or away end at Stadium of Light last night Awaywego?

And what time did you get home? A19 has had night closures the last couple of weeks.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

I was in the home end, found it hard to get to my seat some bastard was laid on the floor and had to climb over him, luckily he wasn’t on fire cos Id just had a piss before I went in. The refs watch must have been wrong he took the players off after 4mins and then started again an hour, missed the train home but other than that a pretty mundane night.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Still digging then.

DarrynStampGoalMachineDarrynStampGoalMachine
    Participant
    Registered On: May 21, 2018
    Topics: 8

Maybe you should get one of those medical alert bracelets that says “if I collapse please just let me die I wouldn’t want to inconvenience anyone”

Everytime refereePat O’Cake
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 17

wouldn’t it be better to get them to the physio room and work on them there

If somebody has suffered a cardiac arrest CPR has to start IMMEDIATLEY there would not be time to get them to the physio room! Who gives a sh!t about a game of football being delayed if it saves somebody’s life?

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Give it up, he’s a dick

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

No just a different view Ironawe, it would seem I am very much off piste though, where are posters views at on whether the game should have been cancelled like Hasselbaink thought should have happened.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.