Adelakun To Gillingham.

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Adelakun To Gillingham.

• Author
    lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

Didn’t George Kerr say something like, “He will either play for Real Madrid or a Sunday pub team?’
    Closer to the latter than the former!
    This was a man with more footballing skills than we have seen in decades. For us he could give 9/10 performances which made you gasp with delight but could barely average 5/10 over any sustained period of time.
    If I’d had those talents at his age, I’d have turned into a seriously wealthy man today. (Possibly with an eye on purchasing a certain much-loved football club.)
    Sigh.
    Waste of innate ability from pupils was something which gutted me more than any other single factor over all the years I was involved in education.
    Interesting how both Palace and W. Ham were not bothered about keeping him, innit?

premierironpremier iron
    Participant
    Registered On: October 6, 2014
    Topics: 28

Lincoln did not like him and was not a regular

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

Has he ever been a regular anywhere?

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Interesting comment from a Crystal Palace youth coach in the first episode about their academy last week. He pulled one of the young U12’s to one side who had talent to burn but was starting to take the piss in training and said ” learn to be humble “. Guess Adelakun never did learn that.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

The lad can’t be very bright. I’m sure all the various coaches he’s had have told him how to maximise his undoubted ability and he clearly thinks they’re all wrong. What a waste, ability without dedication can only take you so far.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant

So sad.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

If Gillingham are a pub team, what does that make us?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    LeedsIron92LeedsIron92
    Participant
    Registered On: August 7, 2018
    Topics: 0

A French pub team.

IronageIron Age
    Participant
    Registered On: April 10, 2019
    Topics: 55

When he came on as a sub for us he created mayhem, fantastic ability.
    When he started for us he didn’t seem to know what to do, how to fit into a game.
    He just didn’t have football knowledge, he couldn’t be an impact player for 90 minutes.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

The lad can’t be very bright. I’m sure all the various coaches he’s had have told him how to maximise his undoubted ability and he clearly thinks they’re all wrong. What a waste, ability without dedication can only take you so far.

Cleveland Taylor I know did more for us than Adelakun did but he was something similar. I remember Beagrie said with the level of ability he had that he could have gone as far because he saw the ability and talent he had but apart from his time with us did next to nothing.

No doubt some players have a huge amount of ability but just can’t mentally piece it all together to be able to perform consistently on a match day. No lack of effort but something just stops them from performing to their best of their ability.

Lee Hodges another prime example with the talent he had…he should have played much, much higher. I put Hodges problem purely down to alack of application though. Hodges used to like alcohol and partying a bit too much.

Lord KitchenerLord Kitchener
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 36

Didn’t George Kerr say something like, “He will either play for Real Madrid or a Sunday pub team?’
    Closer to the latter than the former!
    This was a man with more footballing skills than we have seen in decades. For us he could give 9/10 performances which made you gasp with delight but could barely average 5/10 over any sustained period of time.
    If I’d had those talents at his age, I’d have turned into a seriously wealthy man today. (Possibly with an eye on purchasing a certain much-loved football club.)
    Sigh.
    Waste of innate ability from pupils was something which gutted me more than any other single factor over all the years I was involved in education.
    Interesting how both Palace and W. Ham were not bothered about keeping him, innit?

You didn’t teach at Foxhills, did you?

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant

No.

GurnelistaGurnelista
    Participant
    Registered On: April 2, 2014
    Topics: 13

Kerr was rather extravagant with such a prediction, although last time I looked, Hull, Bristol C, Imps and Gills are competing in far higher leagues and to bigger gates than SUFC. It’s stating the obvious too, that as professional teams in the EFL, all are considerably closer to R. Madrid than a ‘pub team’, which you’d struggle to find anywhere in the seven layers of leagues beneath League 2.
    Indeed, it’s precisely this kind of unambitious coaching and myopic transfer ‘policy’ which has contributed to the club’s demise.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.