A little light listening for the Bank Holiday weekend…

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace A little light listening for the Bank Holiday weekend…

• Author
    SouthYorksIronSouthYorksIron
    Participant
    Registered On: May 26, 2017
    Topics: 2

Apologies if this has been posted before and I missed it, but I suspect this may be of interest to most on here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001zlz9

On Sunday 1.30pm, repeated Monday 4pm.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

I wasn’t aware of this. Thanks for sharing.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

Should be available on bbc sounds app post broadcast for those unable to listen at the broadcast time.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

I’d never heard of him before. I have now…

https://www.jackwfenwick.co.uk/about

ironingboardironingboard
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2022
    Topics: 0

With a curious quote from Wham:

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c0ddz8jyvjvo

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

This seems to have stirred Dodgy Dave into a full statement (as seen on Facebook). I got to the self-pitying waffle about sleepless nights and abuse and gave up on the wall of text. Not interested in his self-pity after the way he treated fans and the club.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66

Doesn’t deserve our time. Why is he being given air time?

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Here’s the statement in full:

51-OW8-Nj-OQ7-L-AC-UF894-1000-QL80

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

You have to admire the irony when he writes 6 pages of drivel trying to prove his integrity whilst using a burner account to post the statement

4 users thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Two sides to every story Deerey nice to have some balance imo.
    Interesting he saw the same as me the money from Ian not so Sharp was a donation and not a loan.
    I (probably alone) will always be grateful he stepped in when he did and saved the club from going out of business till Michelle stepped in and saved the club properly.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

“Interesting he saw the same as me the money from Ian not so Sharp was a donation and not a loan.”

lol. You believe anything if it suits. If Dave says so, you trust it, no matter how many times he’s fibbed. I have seen evidence to suggest otherwise.

Aye, got to be thankful that Dave stepped in to give us an extra 6 months to worsen the situation.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Your choice awaywego. To say I don’t share your deeply held beliefs is an understatement. Thankfully it looks as though the majority posting on the FB group have the measure of him now.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

I reckon Iron_Bru ,The Iron Trust and Matt Blanchard are being airbrushed out of this story. The Iron trust made the ground an asset of community value,Iron bru led the fight in showing where Swann was going wrong and ousting Hilton at a considerable risk and toll .Matt B set up the gofundme ,it appears that this BBC guy thought Matt “Bell ” did that

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

I have listened to this and thought he made it clear the fundraiser was done by “Matt Ellis and the others.” I don’t think Max’s “I contributed to the dossier” nonsense has stuck.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant
    Registered On: September 21, 2023
    Topics: 37

I reckon Iron_Bru ,The Iron Trust and Matt Blanchard are being airbrushed out of this story. The Iron trust made the ground an asset of community value,Iron bru led the fight in showing where Swann was going wrong and ousting Hilton at a considerable risk and toll .Matt B set up the gofundme ,it appears that this BBC guy thought Matt “Bell ” did that

It’s important that these contributions are recognised. Perhaps Iron Hour will issue some engraved tin goblets in the near future.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant
    Registered On: September 21, 2023
    Topics: 37

A busy weekend meant that I was unable to listen to the documentary when it aired, but I was able to hear it on catch-up when driving to work this morning.

A very good piece which told the story in broad brush-strokes. It was still interesting and at times emotional and would have given the casual listener a decent idea of how troubled and triumphant things have been on the Iron rollercoaster. The half-hour run time of this programme didn’t really do the twisting nature of the story much justice – but we should be grateful that our club was given any national air time at all.

I do think the last few years is a compelling story and I’m sure there’s a more in-depth version of it waiting to be told. A multi-part radio series, a Netflix-type documentary or even a feel-good film in the Brassed Off, Calendar Girls or Full Monty ‘plucky community’ vein. If Ian Sharp is worth his salt he’s all over this already.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.